Following are the requirements for a Fire Cadet. Applicants must meet all requirements as of May 15, 2019.
- Age - Must be at least 18 years of age, and not to exceed age 35 at the time of the written test.
- Citizenship - U.S. (birth or naturalized). If you are not a United States citizen, your immigration status must be current and must permit you to work a full-time job in this country. If you have questions about your immigration status or work permit, please contact Immigration officials.
- Social Security - Must have a valid Social Security Card.
- Language - Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
In order to be certified as eligible for a Fire Cadet position with the Austin Fire Department (at the time of the written exam):
- License - Government-Issued Photo ID.
- Certification - Meet all legal requirements necessary to become certified by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Personnel Standards and Education, and must meet the minimum requirements of the Texas Department of Health to become certified as an Emergency Medical Technician. If you have questions about your ability to become certified, please contact the Texas Commission on Fire Protection or Texas Department of Health.
- Medical - Meet the requirements set forth in NFPA 1582, Latest Edition, Standard on Medical Requirements for Firefighters. Please contact a medical professional if you have questions about whether NFPA 1582 provisions would disqualify you.